It was good, although I was quite sad a lot of the time for not-Commonground related reasons.
Category Archives: Sadness
I was wondering
If I could get some kind of receipt
For all of the time and energy I have invested
In seeking to address and resolve
The bizarre interrelational dysfunctions of my family
And send it in to the universe for a refund.
Imagine what I could do
With all of that time and energy.
I could no doubt singlehandedly overthrow the 1%
And still have enough left over
To build a sizeable self-sustaining base on the moon
With my bare hands.
Oh, the things I could do.
And yet we must pursue the projects
Which are important and meaningful to us
Must we not.
Thursday 21st & Friday 22nd June.
Point of note: I totes met Bob Brown at a public CHAG meeting at the Healesville Community hall on the Friday. (This was the second time I’d met him. The first time was in about 1994, when I shared a taxi with him to a Wilderness Society fundraiser in Canberra whilst dressed in a koala suit.)
Saturday, 31st March / Sunday, 1st April.
This long-awaited and much-anticipated function at James Muldoon’s house to celebrate the scheduled end of OM’s as-it-turned-out-not-actually-finished-yet Federal Court litigation against Melbourne City Council was – perhaps predictably – a clusterfuck. But perfectly so.
I was late and missed most of it except the disastrous conclusion and surreal, prolonged aftermath. Not much media was captured, or at least not by me.
(UPDATE (11th Sept 2015): I found two pieces of audio. This one, captured at 2:15am on my way to Muldoon’s, and the one at the foot of this post, captured at 5:33am at Golden Towers in the city:)
All I have is notes:
I’m particularly sad I didn’t manage, despite trying, to record Cobina’s unforgettable trashed mic check after everyone was chucked out of Muldoon’s house at around 3am (“DOES THE COLLECTIVE / WISH TO PRIORITIZE / FOOD, OR ALCOHOL? / WE SHOULD MAKE A DECISION / AND PROCEED ON THAT BASIS. / YOU ARE ALL FUCKED. / YOU ARE ALL. FUCKED.”) – leaving a horde of feral occupiers running amok on the streets of Brunswick unable to reach consensus, and ultimately sitting stubbornly for hours and hours by the side of Sydney Rd throughout the night for no particular reason except that, y’know, that’s what occupiers do.
Here’s a photo I took during said sit-in at around 5am (the sign at the top, which you can’t read due to overexposure, said “WHELAN: THE WRECKER”. This seemed profoundly meaningful or at least funny at the time):
And here’s a photo of chalkage done by Kenji at City Square, where the two of us ultimately wound up, compass-like, at 7am:
There’s nothing like hearing that a long-lost but much loved friend has died to put things in perspective.
At times like this I always fantasize about an impossible party; absolutely everyone who’s ever been special or important to me throughout my life hanging out and being awesome together, with no consequences or liability.
I have much more out-there – and much less self-centred – visions of heaven, but I’d settle for that.
As requested. (Previously.)
- A tin of bacon & egg-themed bandaids in assorted shapes & sizes
- Some plastic flies
- A copy of Mr Nonsense
- A spliff
- A packet of Starburst Babies
- A box of hot cinnamon gum bearing the legend “OH GOD I AM SO TOTALLY WASTED” (the preceding six items all from Patrick. Frikken legend; I only gave him a – y’know, nicely wrapped – lemon from my lemon tree and made him a card for his birthday.)
- A packet of Marlboro Menthols
- A bottle of cabernet merlot
- Two sticks of Kinder chocolate
- A tin of wasabi peas (mmm, wasabi peas)
- A glass bubble with bubbles in it costing $8.75 (heh, bubbles)
- A pair of new shoes (which I desperately needed)
- The perfect bedside lamp (beautifully inscribed)
- A blindfolded trip to the Werribee Open Range Zoo – and a lovely picnic and a lovely dinner gathering – with assorted awesome peeps, from a chick who likes animals
- An M2M CD of mysterious provenance
- A photo of a train passing through rural surrounds at night that only one other person apart from the person who sent it to me has seen
- A four-and-a-half minute voicemail that I will keep for ever and ever
- 60% of an iPhone paid off over two years (which I haven’t actually picked up yet, because I don’t want it to be cursed by association with the world of shit that was the apocalyptic writeoff week I’ve just had)
- Several very nice cards
- A bottle of black nailpolish
- Another bottle of black nailpolish
These last two items are particularly timely & appreciated.
I regret burning W******. And I wish I could have been a better friend to Gab.
But what I feel really terrible about is taking J out for what should – by all rights – have been a night of awesomeness, and then exposing her to all that horror. Last fucking thing on earth that she needed.
ION: Still need a B#6.